Friday 4 February 2011

Starting Puppetry

Our next project centres around puppet making. We've been put into groups of three and given a beetles song. Ours is 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps'. We've started brain stroming and are generally intending to make two main puppets; a male skeletal puppet and a female marionette but we havnt decided on designs for them yet.

Today we began learning about puppet making. We were tasked with creating a basic stick puppet using a cotton reel, two poles, a straw, wire, masking tape, elastic and thin rope.
I cut the reel in half and made sections out of one of the poles for the arms. I then cut the wire and bent ten pieces to use for joints. I attatched the long pole to one of the 6cm pieces to make the body and shoulders and then began to use the bent wire and masking tape to attatch the other four sections for arms.
I attatched the two halves of my cotton reel using elastic and stuck the upper half to the pole using a drill and another piece of wire. I then attatched the rope to the lower piece and let it hang down the back. In order to make this neeter I attatched the straw to the back of the pole and threaded the rope down it with a loop at the bottom in order to make the cotton reel open and close like a mouth.



I will be adding a face and coverings to it this weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment